the NFL Pool Manager

the next generation of Woofpool (coming soon)
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: blank picksheet entry
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:47 am 
Starter
Starter

I had a player send in his picksheet with name and password but no picks or points. How does this happen? When I forget a pick or point Woofpool won't let me submit the picksheet. Any ideas? I haven't had a chance to talk to the player yet.
Thanks, Wayne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:07 am 
Make sure you have the Picksheet validation set correctly...

Reports menu --> Pick Sheets --> Internet --> Verify (drop-down) --> All games are picked.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:19 am 
Starter
Starter

Thanks for the reply Grim. All the settings are correct. The Allow Partial Submissions is unchecked. When I try to submit an incomplete picksheet it points out what part of the picksheet was omitted. Until I correct it I can't submit it. That's why I'm baffled on this one.
Wayne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:28 am 
URL for your piksheet.htm?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:36 am 
Starter
Starter

Grim, thanks again for the help. The url is http://blindluckfootball.com/piksheet.htm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:02 pm 
I tested your pick sheet and the validation worked perfectly.

I've seen this happen once when I created an extra button for users to click for my Born Loser pool pick sheet. Click on the button and the picks were submitted. I didn't take the time to try to troubleshoot it, instead I replaced the button with a text link.

Perhaps one of the extra elements you have in the code is causing a similar bug. Try removing the Music player and/or the "Counter/Statistics data collection code." Try removing them individually, then test.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:12 am 
Starter
Starter

Grim, once again thanks for your efforts on this one. I still haven't heard back from the player who sent in the blank picksheet that bypassed the validation step. He's probably pissed, being that he ended up with random picks & points, 15 of those random points being on Cleveland. Being that the validation system has always worked for me makes it tough to check the system. Removing the music player may say one pick wasn't made but the same thing happens to me with the music player intact. I'm going to have the players in the pool try sending in an incomplete picksheet and see what happens. If there are ones that can send the picks anyway I'll try to figure out what they have in common. Could it be if someone doesn't have Flash or something like that on their system it might affect the validation process? Excuse me if that's a totally moronic question but being an old dog most of this stuff is way above my head. If by some slim chance I figure something out I'll be sure and post it here. Thanks again.

Wayne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:37 am 
Wayne wrote:
Could it be if someone doesn't have Flash or something like that on their system it might affect the validation process?
Wayne

I don't know the answer to that question for certain. But I do know that the "stock" pick sheet has worked pretty much flawlessly for me for years. And I know that computer programs are subject to all kinds of "bugs" when you introduce different code into a program. Just sayin...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:14 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Just a thought; could your player have his browser set not allow java scripts to run? Which is needed to run the validation code.

Of course, I don't think your player would even be able to get the selections made without allowing, so he would have been able to clearly see there was an issue before the submission.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:56 pm 
Doesn't the pick sheet use Javascript to create form elements?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:33 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yes it does.

I'm guessing the issue is client-side based.

Wayne--
If your player does get back to you, have them try from a different browser to see if they behave the same.